Thursday 4 July 2013

Guest Blog by Nina Rochford!

By @ninarochford


Beauty on a budget.

Dare I say the dreaded word...'recession'?
A word we're all quite sick of to be frank but the truth is, we're all a bit strapped for cash and generally feeling a bit sorry for ourselves, so here are some of my favourite products and their cheaper contenders.

Ace of base:

Everyone needs a good foundation and Lord knows how difficult it is to find the right one. If you're anything like me and grease up quicker than you can say John Travolta, then you're better off going for an oil controlling, mattefying foundation. I swear by Estée Lauder Double Wear foundation. It's a bit on the pricey side but in my experience, it's definitely worth it. It controls oil & shine and lasts ALL day, which for me, longevity is a BIG deal. I don't know how many times my makeup has slid half way down my face or even changed colour! But not Double Wear, we are the best of friends. It even comes in a Double Wear Light for those of you who prefer a lighter coverage. It's always good to use a primer but for this I'd say it's not an essential (saving money) as it's just that brilliant. Always apply over moisturised skin and remember, less is definitely more. 


SAVE: For the folk who would rather save their pocket money, there are many alternatives and for much less! I'd recommend Revlon ColourStay foundation for combination/oily skin. It has a light texture, matte finish and much like the Double Wear, is oil free, has an SPF and lasts all day. Definitely a good budget foundation.

Thankfully everyone is different and not all of us have oily skin. If you’re in desperate need of some moisture, then say hello to my little friend, YSL Le Teint Touche Eclat foundation (a bit of a mouthful). A lightweight foundation with the same illuminating genius as their infamous concealor. It highlights the skin giving it that dewy glow that everyone craves, also making it perfect for more mature skin types, too. I’d suggest using a primer and apply foundation with a stippling brush to blend into the skin for a flawless and natural looking base. MAC do some great brushes but in-keeping with the theme, try the Real Techniques brushes by Samantha Chapman. They’re more pocket friendly and are just as good....if not better.

 
SAVE:  Avoid the tears & tantrums as there’s always a cheaper option. Bourjois Healthy Mix is a great budget buy. It has a lightweight and buildable coverage that gives a healthy glow at a fraction of the price. Great for dry skin as it gives a moisture boost without being greasy and lasts all day, which I think we’re all agreed is very important.
So there you have it. Happy shopping, and to those of you who are blessed with practically perfect skin, I salute you. 

No comments:

Post a Comment