Friday 14 June 2013

Oil Based Products for Oily Skin?


Oil Based Products for Oily Skin?


Recently, I have had SO many people asking me on jobs, or messaging me for advice on oily skin. Right, it is time to banish a common myth…the common misconception is that if you have oily skin, then you should avoid oil-based products like the plague. Not true. In fact, you might be surprised to find that your skin is actually craving more oil in your daily skin-care routine!

Cleanse your skin using an oil-based product. I would definitely recommend using an oil-based botanical cleanser, Shu Uemura Cleansing Oil and skin purifier for example. I swear by it, and I’ve converted so many of my clients.



It might go against your better judgement, but using an oil based cleanser works more in sync with your skins natural oils, and has been dermatologically proven to get deeper into your pores and leave you fresher faced.

Use products that contain oil-absorbing ingredients.  I always recommend to any of my clients who are prone to shiny skin, to begin any beauty regime by applying a mattifying gel or primer. MAC Matte primer is fantastic, and super effective.




So should I use an oil-based foundation? Please don’t get confused, I wouldn’t ever recommend an oil based foundation for oily skin…this is JUST in your skin care routine to counteract the oils.  An oil-based foundation would be an oil overload!

Myth: Using a face-stripping, drying, alcohol-based cleansers help keep oil in check. WRONG. Stripping the skin of oil is actually the best way to make your skin produce MORE of it. It can leave you with dehydrated, irritated, sensitized skin. Use an oily cleanser and take off surface oils using a toner if necessary!

Myth: Sunbeds or exposure to the sun is good for drying up the skin. WRONG. Although initially, you may experience a drying effect…your skin will then attempt to compensate for the loss of oil and fire into overdrive, making your skin more oily than ever before!

I hope this helps! :) 

1 comment:

  1. I have really oily skin so thank you for doing this post.. When it comes to foundation, I agree, I would definitely choose an oil-free formulation. I personally like long wearing foundations like Mac Pro longwear or Revlon Colorstay. If anyone needs help with finding the right formulation or shade I would suggest using an online foundation finder, they are very useful and surprisingly accurate. The one I like best is by ps beauty and it's http://www.beauty.ps/tool/foundation . It gives personalised recommendations and it's really quick and fun to use.. have fun:)

    ReplyDelete